Leather is a naturally durable material and requires less maintenance than you may think. However, to keep it healthy and looking great, we recommend wiping away dust and grime with a damp cloth every once in a while, and conditioning once or twice a year.
- Wipe the leather with a damp (not wet) cloth to remove excess dust and dirt
- Allow the leather to dry naturally
- Apply a leather conditioner
- Stuff the bag with the newspapers so that it maintains its shape while you clean it.
- Fill a bowl with warm water and use one soft cloth to blot the entire bag; this will help break down any dirt (the soft cloth should be just damp and not saturated with water.)
- Now mix the mild washing detergent thoroughly into the warm water until it foams; use a soft brush to gently scrub the bag with the soapy liquid.
- Then immerse another soft cloth in clean warm water and use it to blot the bag again to remove any detergent residue; do this several times until any residue has gone.
- Allow the bag to dry naturally overnight or for 5 to 6 hours (do not place it next to an artificial heat source like a radiator or a fire) and remove the newspapers.
- Iron the bag carefully after washing on low heat; when ironing always place a lint-free cotton cloth between the canvas and the iron to protect the iron from any colour transfer and the canvas from the risk of heat marks.
Clean the outside fabric with a slightly wet cloth.
Avoid moistening the leather when cleaning.
Do not bleach.
Do not soak in water.
Do not use bleach or very hot water.
Hang in a shady place to dry.
In case of a deep stain, clean the fabric with a cloth or soft brush using water and neutral soap.
Please be aware that the material has a water-repellent coating on top. By using the wrong soap this coating can disappear. Also by washing your bag too hot the backing of the material will get damaged.
We recommend spraying the exterior fabric of your canvas bag with a silicone lubricant before you use it for the first time, and re-applying it each time you clean your bag.
If you have any enquiries about the care of your Sandstorm product, please send us an email.